Importing Cars To New Zealand
Documents Required From Auto Trader Imports
The following documents will be sent at the same time by DHL DONT NOT MISPLACE THESE DOCUMENTS
A. You will receive an invoice from us. This invoice may be requested by customs.
B. 2 copies of the BOL (bill of lading)
C. 1 copy of the vehicle export certificate
In certain circumstances, class MA vehicles must also be fitted with electronic stability control a new motor vehicle of class MA that is first certified for entry into service in New Zealand on or after 1 July 2015, or a used motor vehicle of class MA with engine capacity greater than 2 liters that are inspected at the border from 1 March 2018 must have ESC fitted).
- The vehicle is over 20 years old can be imported as a classic car.
- The vehicle is a special interest vehicle
- It is part of your emigration or returning to live in New Zealand.
Read. all other used class MA vehicles inspected at the border from 1 March 2020 must have ESC fitted.
Maf & Mileage Inspection In Japan
- Pre-shipment inspection
- Maf Inspection
- Heat Treatment
- Mileage Inspection
Shipping Destination ports
Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington, Nelson, Littleton
Shipping time is 2 – 4 weeks
Other requirements ( May vary from car to car )
- Vehicles with 3 digit Emission codes can only be imported unless as a classic import as discussed above.
- Emission code” is stated as “Model Number” on each unit. The letters before hyphen must be 3 digits, like “ABA-WG4W”.
Import taxes rates and more
You will be required to pay 15% GST on the vehicle
All vehicles entering New Zealand from Japan need to be complied. Be sure to organize a certifier prior to importing your car from Japan.
Facts sheet for importing cars into New Zealand here
More fact sheet information check here
All payments are to be made by TT transfers. PayPal is not accepted for car payments
Please check locally to ensure that this information provided above is current.